Monday, June 02, 2008

No good deed goes unpunished

I left the studio at around 8-ish last night and decided to stop out and get a drink to unwind. I stopped on Allen St. and popped in to see a few friends who were bartending.......most specifically my friend Drew at The Pink. I ran into my friend Dan who was heading a few miles uptown to see our friend Working at the Left Bank. I finished my beer and was about ten minutes behind Dan.

I get to the Left Bank and proceed to enjoy a Framboise. I fucking love Lambics.....I can't help it. Dan finally arrives and we talk over our respective beverages. After a while two women (We'll call them H and K) come into the bar, both just finished their second year of medical school. Both were leaving the net day to go home for a few months off of the medical grind before heading back in August.

They seemed bright, interesting and nice enough.

........let's fast-forward a bit.

The two med students are now wasted........a combination of the wine and the weed they hd smoked previously. One of them (H) clearly can not handle the combination. She starts to tweak a little and wants to drive home. That wasn't an option. She was coherent, but clearly a menace. I say I'll drive her to her apartment and she can get her car in the morning. Her friend plops her in my car and we're off. We get to her place, or at least in proximity to it, and she again begins to freak out that she needs her car because her flight leaves at 4 in the morning (At this point, it's around 1). I tell her that no flight leaves the Buffalo airport before 5, but she still insists her's does.

I then say that I will drive her back to her car, drive her and her car to her place, then walk back to my car ( A walk of no more than a mile and a half). This for some reason is not an option for her. We argue, and argue, and argue. She yells at me that I kidnapped her. I tell her that she is welcome to get out of my car at any time. This goes on for twenty minutes. I finally get her keys and head back to her car. We get to her car and she flips out again demanding her keys. I tell her that there is no way that I'm letting her drive. Using less than polite tactics while she bends my middle backward she gets my keys out of my hand. I drive her back to her car, because she was still very very drunk, and most people (sober) can't figure how to get out of a Volvo 240.

I get her back to her apartment, and the arguing continues..........................

Finally I get her keys back and drive back to her car. We notice that her friend ( K, the other med student) is now in her car with a man. We walk over and K insists that I give her H's keys (it was strange that she wasn't surprised to see us considering we'd been gone for nearly an hour). I go back into the bar to tell my friend of my little adventure. After a few minutes K enters the bar saying that H left her keys in the bar and she wants them back. I nearly have an aneurysm. I inform her that I had just given her H's keys. She seems to not recall that. Just then I see H leave the parking lot and speed her way home.

Lessons learned:

1. Random acts of kindness are for suckers
2. Let drunken women drive.......trying to get their keys is a lesson in futility

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:08 PM, June 09, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home