Thursday, January 12, 2006

Mural's done and I'm a graduate school applicant

How quickly shit can change in only one day. I finished the mural at around 9-ish then spent the rest of the night writing my bullshit essay for school (more on that later). I got to bed at around 3:30-esque, woke up, got my shit together and sent my application on it's way. It's a motherfucking relief. Now I just have to wait a week, to let the mural dry and then I can take it down and get back to work on my shit. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Essay
Sweet fuck, what a pain in the ass! I swear I was pulling penguins out of my ass writing that thing. It such bullshit. I hate writing about my work. It just seems so pointless. I feel like such a douche, giving my work that kind of importance. Don't get me wrong, it is important, but it's meant to be seen, not read about. If I talk about it, I'm very plain, plus I can say shit and fuck and douche. They don't like that in the accademic world apparently. I even hate reading other artists' statements. Mostly because they describe their work with these grand flowery statements that essentially mean nothing. It's just artistic doubletalk. In my opinion, art is like humor, if it has to be described, it's not that good. I'll grant that art is much more difficult to grasp, sometimes, than humor, but if given enough time anyone can understand the most complex work of art................assuming it's good to begin with. If it's crap, it's crap and no amount of critical essays will change that.

Unfortunately I had to wade into the dark swampy waters of artspeak, to write the essay. Eventhough I didn't go to far with it I still feel a little dirty, like I need a second or third shower.

3 Comments:

Blogger schmims said...

Understanding art for me is either a) i like it or b) i don't. guess there's more to it than that if you have to write about it.

11:25 AM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger A.J. said...

Unfortunately, although I think it's good to be able to understand why you like something. I just don't like it when people overcomplicate things.

1:54 PM, January 13, 2006  
Blogger April said...

You said: "In my opinion, art is like humor, if it has to be described, it's not that good."

I agree with Schmims about art, either I like it or I don't, and I would not be able to describe WHY I like it because of your comment above. I cannot describe it. I think it's a little like music or a particular song, either you like it or it you don't. Sometimes you may be able to describe why you do or don't like it, and other times you're like, "I'm just not feeling it."

I've heard that music is a form of art, which would make musicians, artists, right? Then I think that artists, such as yourself, get the shit end of the deal because they are not also musicians. There I go talking stupid shit, just ignore me please. Oh, have a great weekend.

Taco.

8:41 PM, January 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home