Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Cheap art people

So my studio has this little group show this past weekend. I wasn't terribly excited because my work rarely sells well at these things. It was early in the evening and I had a decent buzz going on (I had gin and vodka and rum in my studio for myself and friends...gotta be a good host even if you're miserable!). A friend of mine comes in. I offer her a drink. she says no and asks if I want to bargain for one of the pieces that I had in the show. Mind you, the prices are clearly marked and that sales out of the gallery are subject to a 25% commission/donation by the gallery. It was a matted pencil drawing. My price was $275.................not exactly a metric shitload of money, especially compared to some of the other prices around. She offered me $200. So in the end, for a work that I wanted $275 for I would have gotten $150. FUCK THAT!

I was polite, although a little indignant with my sarcasm.....remember I did have a pretty good buzz on. I reminded her that she had a job, a rather nifty one, and that my money comes pretty much exclusively through my work. Either way we parted ways, saying that we would think about it. No surprise, I didn't see her for the rest of the night. I grew more and more pissed as the evening and drinks went by. She should know the difficulty of keeping your head above water (........."and making your way when you caaaaan.........temporary layoffs.........GOOD TIMES!".....................sorry got carried away) when you're an artist.

My question is..................Why do people always think that they can, and for that matter should bargain for a lower price, especially when dealing with artists? God knows the vast majority of us aren't rich. Why do people think that my studio is Canal Street and I'm a little Asian guy selling a knockoff Gucci?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home