Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Stuff

The studio feels strange and has so for the past week or two. This is one of the problems with working in a collective or co-op ish type of space. When someone else is having a bad day, it can have a profound effect on my work....or lack thereof, more specifically. I'm hardly the new-agey, aura feelin' type, but one person's bad energy can really fuck up a place. This is nothing that I need. I'm here for one reason alone, and that is to work. It's a studio for fuck sake!

I've been playing with the idea of getting a new studio. People say that change is good. I abhor it. My work changes on its own. It has its own course. Plus, I hate moving. I have a ton of shit. Besides my mechanic is walking distance, and the place that builds my canvas supports is right across the street. Still, I'm considering a move. I might need to be on my own. Even some of the other artists here have said that the place needs me more than I need it. I'm not sure if I agree, but it was nice to hear. I've recently found some interesting options, affordable ones. I think the spaces are kinda rough, but that really doesn't bother me. All I need is wall space, electricity, a sink, and a bathroom. I think I would have to construct the working walls (ie. do all of the drywalling) myself, but that's no big deal. I've done that shit before, and I'm a goddam Michelangelo with joint compound.

I've been getting a lot of (almost) overly positive response for the new work that I'm doing. People seem to be wetting themselves in front of the horizon painting. It's cool, but I have a hard time taking a compliment. I really love the work. It will sound awful, but this is the first time that I can see me working on a series for a very long time. The possibilities, for this work, truly seem endless.

A friend and I have some funny and offensive ideas for t-shirt designs. Their very simple and graphic, and funny as hell. They could potentially make us a little money if we get our acts together.

I'm still waiting on the mural for ECC city campus. From the language that was used it sounds like its definitely my job, but I never want to be that confident about anything. Other contractors still need to get their shit together before I can get paid and started on it. Slow-ass cocksuckers! I'm goin' broke here!!!

I finally got my taxes done today (one employer was a tiny bit tardy with my 1099). I FUCKING OWE MONEY! I hardly made any money last year. How do I owe?!? Self-employment tax my ass!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

I hear you with the negative energy thing. It's like that in my office too. When one bitch is having a bad day it really fucks everyone up.

2:04 PM, April 12, 2006  
Blogger Feed Watcher said...

Can you lock your studio door? It sounds like the location works for you, so it would be a shame to let One Bad Apple run you off. If the problem is pervasive, maybe someone can write a note to the offender and get signatures, like a petition.

You know, shape up or ship out.

I shudder to think about your funny buy offensive T-shirt ideas. That is a huge market right now. Go for it!

10:22 AM, April 15, 2006  
Blogger schmims said...

My favorite t-shirt has an indian on it and says "I have reservations." cracks me up every time!

7:53 AM, April 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home