Monday, March 06, 2006

Like a school house on a Saturday.............no class.

It was an interesting weekend. Met friends for happy hour Friday, at one of my favorite places in town.....Papaya.......the name, being meaningless to anyone out of Buffalo reading this, but let me assure you, the place is great. Pacific rim/Asian fusiony food, the best fucking calamari I've ever had and the sushi just keeps getting better.................the spider and eel rolls are acts of God! I really do like this place because although it is an upscale place, it doesn't come off with any pretension. I mean, I showed up right from the studio, my pants with splotches of paint all over them, and one of the owners.........whom I recently met.......met me with a handshake and a smile, at the door. So Friday was fun.

Saturday..........didn't start out so great. I woke up a little groggy, got my mail, and lo and behold....I got rejected from grad school! I gotta be honest, I was a little surprised. Fuck that I was shocked. For fuck sake, we're talking about the University of Buffalo, not Yale. I've seen the grad students that they've been cranking out for about five years or so, and with few exceptions I wouldn't let them even wash my brushes. Granted, I wasn't going back to school to learn anything, I just wanted two years of working on my stuff and the degree. Everyone that I spoke to about my li'l rejection was shocked or surprised. The best reaction came from my friend who is, of all things, the curator of the University gallery. She said my rejection was unconscionable.

Fuck school! Most of the reason that I was applying was out of fear. Fear that I'll forever be broke. Fear that I will never have anything resembling stability in my life. This is an evil profession to be in.

Anyway, the rest of the day was great. I went to a couple of art openings at Big Orbit and Hallwalls. The people were more fun than the artwork, and it was too crowded to really get a good look anyway. I'll have to go back...............to actually see the work.

Sunday was Sunday...............painted. Painted badly. Luckily I didn't manage to really fuck anything up.

I'm getting my results of my CT scans and my blood tests tomorrow at 11:40. I'm sure everything's fine and this has just been a huge waste of time and money. At least now when I finally do have some form of cancer I have a good doctor to go to.

..................look at me being all glass-is-half-full and shit.

3 Comments:

Blogger schmims said...

Maybe you got rejected because you don't have perspective. Just draw in that little line in the back ground. They'll let you in. I'm sure they're sitting there saying "this guy didn't even learn about perspective in undergrad. How the crap is he going to handle grad?"

You know I'm just giving you a hard time. I'd of let you in no prob!

1:14 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger Feed Watcher said...

Yeah, fuck school man!!

I've always wanted to say that.

And I have a fried calamari problem. Without question. When I go to Buffalo, I'm going to Papaya. That's for sure.

One time I saw a totally naked man sitting in the courtyard at P.S.1 in Brooklyn. He was a redhead.

6:41 PM, March 07, 2006  
Blogger A.J. said...

Fried calamari is NEVER a problem!!!

5:18 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home