Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Maybe it's a Buffalo thing

Friday was St. Patrick's Day and Sunday was parade day. As Buffalo has a large Irish population it tends to be a big celebration. As if anyone in Buffalo ever really needs a reason to drink publicly. The parade goes in a simple straight line, right down Delaware avenue. It has the requisite politicians, police, firemen, and float after float of wee Irish dancers.

I started the day relatively early (noon-ish) at Fat Bob's. I made the mistake of parking illegally in a parking lot. I didn't get a ticket I just got parked in until around 8:30. The dining room at FB's was surprisingly crowded and a lot of people were enjoying their corned beef and cabbage. I had my first drink by 12:30. A couple of friends (Mara and Jen) showed up and we stayed at FB's for a while before we ventured into the cold. We made our way to a parking lot of a corner gas station. The place looked more like the parking lot outside of a football game as people had kegs and grills and folding chairs etc.

I made my way to my friend's annual party. She lives in an apartment on Delaware and her patio overlooked the busy scene below. It was nice to have the option of standing outside or going in to be warm.....and get another drink. Plus the food was good and the bathroom was clean --- I'm kinda girly when it comes to my appreciation/demand for a good clean bathroom.

After being removed from the parade festivities for a while I made my way back to FB's. The scene on the way there was a little different, or should I just say drunker. The strange thing is that no one was really that obnoxious, which is usually the case. In general I refer to days/evenings like these as "amateur nights", where people who have no business consuming more than two drinks decide to have a dozen or so, usually with annoying, or at best comical results. Although most of the people who I passed were visibly drunk, not many were of the fall-down variety. I dunno, maybe I got just lucky. Back at FB's it was wall to wall to wall people, and I hate that. Luckily they had erected a heated tent on their back patio, and the crowd there was much more manageable. I spent a few hours there then again decided to venture forth.

I wandered to Cozumel (another place that I like, only because of the staff). Saw lots of friends, lots of tipsy friends. I ended the evening at the Old Pink (several years ago In-Style magazine voted it as one of the best dive bars in America, a fact that the owner was exceedingly proud of at the time). I was happy to see that my friend Drew was back in town and back behind the bar. After talking for a while I decided to make my way back to my car, luckily the douchebag that
parked me in was gone.

Some may say that I'm getting to old for this kind of shit, and on some days I might be inclined to agree with them..........................some days.

3 Comments:

Blogger April said...

I thought only wings and Beef & Weck were Buffalo things???

5:50 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger A.J. said...

............that and $ AM closing time at the bars

2:14 PM, March 23, 2006  
Blogger A.J. said...

yeah, that was 'sposed to be a 4.
I suck today!

2:15 PM, March 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home