Friday, February 17, 2006

Almost at two weeks

......without booze that is. I know it's no great accomplishment, but DAMN.....two weeks. I was thinking, and I'm pretty sure that this is the longest I've gone without a drink since I was.......uh.............maybe thirteen. Twenty goddam years!!! Hmmmmm maybe it's a good thing that I take a break. Seriously, what's the longest you've gone without a single drink?

As I said before, I'm still going out bars and art openings and such. I'm amazed at how utterly annoying everyone is when I'm stone cold sober. With the exception of several of my friends I hate everyone................or at least I view them with the coldest form of indifference. Most of these people aren't even snot-licking drunk. If I ever needed confirmation of this.....which I didn't.............I am definitely not a people person. I often joke that I'm a lot more charming when others are drinking, I guess others are more charming if I'm drinking. Shit!...................................did I just have a moment of clarity?

It is strange though, most people do like me. I can't figure that out. A lot of the time I can be a pompous, arrogant, sarcastic prick. I freely admit to being an elitist jerk, but I guess I'm always friendly. I meet people with a smile, and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt (at least for fifteen seconds to a minute) . I'm also painfully shy. I don't think I have ever spoken to someone to whom I've not yet been introduced. I'm always open to a conversation, but starting one always makes me feel a little ill. I can't start a conversation, but when it comes to continuing one I'm a fucking juggernaut. It's funny that shyness and arrogance can often be confused, and in my case they're both true.

Happy weekend!

"....so you better go back to your bars, your temples..........your massage parlors..."

--- the first person that can tell me what song that line is from, and who sang it gets a free painting!

5 Comments:

Blogger April said...

I drink MAYBE 3 times a year. I've never been much of a drinker, but only because I get HORRIBLE hershey squirts when I do.

However, I can recognize what an accomplisment this is for you and you deserve a HUGE pat on the back!! So I'm sending you cyber back pats.

Your song is One night in Bangkok by Murray Head.

So do I get that Titanic painting now?

10:56 PM, February 17, 2006  
Blogger April said...

hee hee, I said Bangkok!!

9:17 AM, February 20, 2006  
Blogger Feed Watcher said...

F*ck---April beat me to it.

I think it's great that you've abstained from drinking that long. I went through the same thing (without the health problems, though) back in June, I think. I read A Million Little pieces when I had a cold, and the next thing I knew, 6 weeks went by with no booze.

And I kept telling people that I couldn't remember ONE WEEK without a drink since I was 16 or so.

Do you feel better? If so, I would consider extending your experiment, or setting up new rules for drinking. Limitations.

And, yes, drunk people can be very obnoxious.

I definitely related to quite a few sentences in your post. But few people would believe me.......

8:20 AM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger schmims said...

One year.

1:39 PM, February 21, 2006  
Blogger A.J. said...

April - Bangkok :)

L1 - Yes, April beat you, but I'll see what I can do for ya.....maybe a copy of my dirty haiku anthology.

I never felt bad, although not having a hangover for 3 consecutive Saturdays is kinda nice.

Schmims - Jesus Christ! A year! That's damn saintly!

2:37 PM, February 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home